LiVES - LiVES is a Video Editing System
Quick link >> Linux packages; click here.
Quick link >> Linux source; click here.
Requirements to run LiVES
Windows UsersLiVES for Windows will be coming later in 2019 !
For more details please sign up for the LiVES for Windows newsletter.
GNU/Linux, BSD and UNIX
- x86 800MHZ+ (recommended) or PPC (spec unknown) or amd64 (any). 2GHz+ Pentium/AMD for real time effects.
- 256MB+ memory for encoding (recommended 512 MB+)
- 5 - 10+ GB disk space as a minimum (more is better)
- GNU/Linux 2.x, BSD, openMosix or Solaris (OpenSolaris 2009.06 or higher) (also compiles under IRIX)
See below for sourcecode and links to binaries.
OSX LeopardLiVES will compile and run under OSX Leopard; you can follow the links here (English) or (Spanish) for more information; it would be great if somebody could create and send a simple installer package for OSX.
Software requirements (GNU/Linux)
- mplayer / mplayer2 / mpv compiled with png/jpeg support
- ImageMagick 5+
- perl 5+
- gtk+ 3.0.1+ or 2.14.0+
- libjpeg62 and/or libpng
- sox with libsox-fmt-all
- libpulse0 (recommended)
- python 2.3.4+ (recommended)
- libmjpeg-tools (recommended)
- libtheora (recommended)
- cdda2wav / icedax (optional)
For compilation from source, you will need:
- GNU automake 1.7 or higher
- GNU autoconf 2.57 or higher
- GNU gettext 0.12.1 or higher (0.17 recommended)
- GNU libtool 1.5.22 or higher
- libgtk+-2.0-dev 2.4.0 or higher (2.14 or higher recommended) or (as of 2.0.0) libgtk+-3.0 3.0.1 or higher
Latest "stable" version (recommended for most users) : 3.0.2 for GNU/Linux and UNIX systems (released 7 Sep 2019)
Download : Source
- DOWNLOAD: LiVES-3.0.2.tar.bz2
- DOWNLOAD: LiVES-3.0.2.tar.gz
README - how to install
Changes - See CHANGELOG for more details.
ChecksumsLiVES 3.0.2: Signed sha1 and sha256 checksums.
LiVES 3.0.1: Signed sha1 and sha256 checksums.
LiVES 2.10.2: Signed sha1 and sha256 checksums.
LiVES 2.10.0: Signed sha1 and sha256 checksums.
LiVES 2.8.9: Signed sha1 and sha256 checksums.
See the contact page to verify the gpg fingerprint.
Frei0r SupportThese releases contain (optional) support for Frei0r effects. You may wish to compile and install frei0r before compiling LiVES. Frei0r effects can be bound to keys in LiVES using the realtime effects window (ctrl-v).
For more information on frei0r, see: http://www.dyne.org/software/frei0r/
Binaries (some versions may not be current)Note: if you know of a version which is not listed here, please let me know so I can add it. Packagers: please contact me so that I can send you the release/compilation notes whenever a new version is ready.
DebianLiVES is in the official debian repositories (unstable and testing), so:
aptitude install lives
should just work. Alternately you can use a graphical package manager like synaptic to download and install LiVES. Make sure to install any lives-plugin package in addition to lives.
UbuntuFor Ubuntu users you may install through the Ubuntu Software Center. There are also various PPAs available. Make sure to install the lives-plugins package also.
Ubuntu StudioUse the Ubuntu PPA if possible.
openSUSEPackages for openSUSE are available here.
Fedora Core / RPMFusionLiVES page on RPMFusion
LiVES builds on RPMFusion.
Alternate Fedora/RPM Fusion packages are available here.
SlackwareLiVES for Slackware (link appears to be broken...)
GentooFor Gentoo users, there are ebuilds for x86, ppc and amd64. Just type "emerge lives" (without the quotes).
Gentoo users - you MUST make sure that you have installed gtk+ and imageMagick with jpeg and png support !
MageiaLiVES is distributed in the Mageia core repositories.
Arch LinuxPackages can be obtained here
Custom Scripts for LiVES !Once you have succesfully installed LiVES, you might want to customise it. LiVES uses scriptable plugins to create custom effects and tools. Add-ons can be downloaded/installed from here.
Extrasmulti_encoder is now the recommended encoder for LiVES, it has its own requirements here.
To use all the other encoder plugins, you need:
- mencoder (part of mplayer)
- libdv2-apps or libdv (encodedv)
- sswf (for the new swf encoder)
- mjpegtools (for mpeg1/2,vcd,svcd,dvd)
- ghostscript (for pdf encoding)
Work in progress...Please see the code page for details of the development version.
LiVES website © Copyright Gabriel "Salsaman" Finch.
Site maintained by Salsaman and VJ pixel.
All images on this site are used with permission of their owners.